[leafnode-list] Re: Suddenly leafnode isn't downloading any new articles

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Tue Mar 7 15:33:55 CET 2023

On 08/03/2023 01:16, Ken Robinson via leafnode-list wrote:
> The group is very active. The problem was that the file with the group's
> name got deleted from the interesting.groups directory. I'm not sure how
> that happened. Once I put it back in, everything started working again. I
> think I will put a cron job in that will check to make sure that the file
> is still there and re-create it if it disappears again.

If no one accesses a newsfroup for timeout_long days it is removed from
the active list.

The default setting for "timeout_long" in 1.12.0 is 7 days:
	timeout_long = 7
		By default, a group that has not  been  read  at  all
		is being fetched  for seven days before being
		unsubscribed. This interval can be changed by setting
		timeout_long to a different value.

I set it to 30, ages ago, and I have a script that "touch"es things that
are in .newsrc files in .../interesting.groups to keep them alive.

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)