[leafnode-list] Re: using leafnode with existing spool

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Wed Nov 23 15:25:09 CET 2022

On 23/11/2022 23:51, Julian Bradfield wrote:
> You're not having a good day :) Please stop sending obvious answers to
> questions I didn't ask...

>>> C-News source tarchive: <http://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/c-news/c-news.tar.Z>
>>>
>>> Found here: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_News>
>>>
>> Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you couldn't find the C-news source, not
>> the INN source.
>>
>> INN is at ISC: <https://www.isc.org/othersoftware/#INN>.  It's still
>> being maintained, too, up to version 2.7.0 now.  :-)

Please don't reply directly, this is a mailing list, ask and answer there.

And yes, I misunderstood.

AFAIR c-news use a similar, but not identical, spool layout, to that of
Leafnode.  (It has been a few decades since I compiled c-news, much
longer for b-news.)

Linking the various "base" message directories - comp, alt, rec, etc. -
from the c-news $NEWSSPOOL into the Leafnode spool directory should work.

So if $NEWSSPOOL is /news, and Leafnode is configured
"--with-spooldir=/leafnode/", then "ln -s /news/comp /leafnode" and so
on should do the right thing.

That covers reading messages...

The out.going directory in Leafnode is different, it is where out going
messages are placed, not newsbatches.

Hmm, inews should be able to read and inject the messages, so a cron job
that ran inews on each (munged - remove headers that c-news will add
itself) file in /leafnode/out.going and then deleted it on success every
now and then should do the job.

I think, if the only Leafnode binary that is run is leafnode, it is doable.

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)