[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode 2 not creating "all_links" in?gmane?hierarchy.

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Tue May 10 00:31:12 CEST 2011

On Mon-2011/05/09-18:29 Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2011-05-09, clemens fischer wrote:

> Further info: I fetched this message using netcat and NNTP commands
> directly from news.gmane.org and found gmane.spam.detected in both
> headers:
>
> #v+
> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,gmane.spam.detected
> #v-
>
>> Whatever gmane.org says, they sure don't advertise gmane.spam.detected
>> (gsd) as a newsgroup, you might check news/leaf.node/groupinfo .
>
> It's not there (on my server).  It hadn't occurred to me that an
> upstream server would use groups in its headers that it doesn't
> include in its group list.

This is because gmane.org really has the group available, so it is
natural for _their_ headers to have it Xref'ed.  Note that the Xref has
nothing to do with the Newsgroup header.  The latter shows where
a server has some articles, while the former shows where the author
wanted that article to appear.  Xref is regenerated each step
downstream.  Servers do not have to carry all groups.  If a downstream
server doesn't carry some group, it won't have it in the Xref header.

>> See [1][2][3].  It seems gsd isn't actually provided externally, so
>> leafnode won't ever find articles in it, thus never create the group and
>> never have anything to Xref.
>>
>> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/month=20051201
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2006-02/msg00032.html
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/8922
>
> Thanks, now I understand.  I'd expected leafnode to construct local
> Xref headers (and to create group directories locally) from the
> fetched messages' Xref or Newsgroup headers.  I guess leafnode does
> something like that *but* deletes groups that aren't in the local
> groupinfo?

No, it doesn't delete them:  if groups from the Newsgroups header are
locally available, they'll show up in Xref.  You're out of luck since
gmane.org doesn't publish the gmane.spam.* groups.  But you're right:
leafnode constructs local Xref headers.

clemens