[leafnode-list] Re: Last version of leafnode 2 with?working?maxbytes?

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Sat Feb 5 01:38:55 CET 2011

Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2011-02-01, clemens fischer wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I'm running a slightly hacked
>> leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090409a.luascript here, but using only Lua
>> filtering, no filterfile.  The Lua script is where I have
>> modifications, and it does maxbytes etc.
>
> Well, I guess I could learn to use Lua!

Lua is quite simple to grok and write, but the stuff I put into leafnode
needs and overhaul.  It works, and users would normally only edit some
tables for configuration and tuning, but it's a collection of hacks
without any OO features.  OTOH, it is a much extended version of the
stock leafnode filter feature and I think it shows what's needed for
USENET filtering, so what's left to do is reorganize the code (and the
tables) to define per-group (or collections of groups) base classes and
have specific groups inherit from them with little add-ins.

I'm lazy and didn't do it so far because I find my ways around in the
code and everything does what it's supposed to do, but eventually ...

Maybe it was not such a good idea to try to make the Lua filtering
compatible with the old filtering.  They are too different: the old code
can see only single lines while Lua can look at an entire article and
even carry over results from article to article, group to group etc.

clemens