[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode on macosx

Martin Smith martinsm at gn.apc.org
Sat Dec 20 17:10:30 CET 2008

Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Martin Smith on Friday, December 19, 2008 at 19:15:30 +0000
>> Christian Ebert wrote:
>>> According to
>>> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/news/leafnode/Portfile
>>> macports already does that.
>> thanks, I wiped and reinstalled the version above but it does not seem
>> to create a user news or _news so I am going to take it up with trac.
>> Otherwise I can run fetchnews manually and d/l the active file, but I
>> cannot seem to find an adduser command here on 10.5.6.... or I would
>> add the user myself.
>
> man dscl
>
> http://ln-s.net/2a+w
>
> But again, I believe you should macports take care of this. I'm
> using fink, and there the package manager has the "passwd"
> package listed as dependency, which adds the user news and is
> automatically installed with leafnode.
>
> I have fink's passwd installed (needed for other packages) and
> compile leafnode myself.

Well it is becoming more clear now, the macports version did indeed
create a user _news, I thought it had not because there was no trace
of it in /etc/group, I am just beginning to get to grips with the
differences between osx and all my years with bsd.
Any way I have taken out a ticket with macports as the service has not
been started...
Fortunately I have a duplicate system on an external drive, I have
installed fink on it and will have a crack at it over the weekend.
It is always good to learn new things, I know I can get t'bird to d/l
all the news by itself but having been using leafnode since 0.9.x I just
want to carry on, plus to get back to using slrn....
Thanks for the pointers :)

--
Martin