[leafnode-list] Re: [fetchmail-users] fetchmail, fetchnews can't get thru router

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 09:48:33 CEST 2008

Christian Ebert schrieb:
> * Christian Ebert on Monday, August 04, 2008 at 14:27:27 +0200
>> I apologize in advance for this probably being off topic, and the
>> cross-post, but I am desperate for some kind of help: pointers to
>> docs etc.
>>
>> The problem:
>>
>> I changed my internet access at home from dsl to vdsl, and am now
>> connected via a router (Speedport W 701v). Everything works fine
>> except fetchmail and fetchnews -- they just hang. Even smtp (via
>> msmtp) works, also ssh, jabber, irc (both also via ssl) etc.
>>
>> The config at the of this mail works perfectly when I am
>> connected eg. via AirPort and dsl-modem.
>
> I just tried mpop <http://mpop.sourceforge.net/> and ... it works
> flawlessly.
>
> At least I am able to access mail now.
>
> Leaves the fetchnews problem. And of course I'd like fetchmail to
> work thru the router as well.

Well - that's a problem that cannot be debugged without proper logs,
including tcpdump/tshark logs to see where it goes wrong - and I have yet
to see fetchnews (leafnode) logs...

"socket error" is not usually a problem in fetchnews/fetchmail, so just
switching software doesn't prove anything here.

Best regards

--
Matthias Andree