[leafnode-list] Forcing message-ids

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 15:11:03 CET 2004

Peter Riocreux schrieb am 2004-01-20:

> I have set up leafnode to fetch from news.individual.net (awaiting
> account details from them) and a condition they impose is that they
> will set message-ids to a particular form. I am not bothered by this,
> but figured it would be preferable if the message I post has a
> message-id in the correct form when it leaves my box, in which case my
> understanding is that they do not change it.

Right.

> I can set the "hostname" in the config file, but the documantation
> says (as I am reading it) that if a message-id is already present in
> the message it will not be removed/replaced. I want to over-ride this
> - is there any mechanism to do this?

No, there is none, and there shall not be one.  Configure your
newsreader to not generate a Message-ID if you want to use leafnode's
IDs.  Overriding Message-ID is prone to create dupes, articles with same
content and different Message-ID, which will bring the wrath of other
users and news admins upon you, and may cause your ISP to terminate your
news account.

If you now have the impression that a Message-ID, once generated, is a
sacred, then you're right, it is.

--
Matthias Andree