[leafnode-list] Re: Malformed Message-ID?

Martin Brunzel martin.brunzel at gmx.de
Thu Mar 2 05:09:04 CET 2023

Hello

Am Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 01:41:46PM +1100 schrieb Gary R. Schmidt via leafnode-list:
> Looking at RFC5536:
> 	 message-id      =  "Message-ID:" SP *WSP msg-id *WSP CRLF
>
> I think that  means the Message-ID is not malformed, it has a CRLF quite
> happily embedded in it.
>
> Well, presuming it *is* a CRLF breaking the line, if it's just a NL, then it
> probably is malformed.  Reading EBNF is tiring.

There may be another issue. According to RFC 3977:

| Netnews articles are further required to have the header name,
| colon, and following space all on the first line; folding may only
| happen beyond that space.

(https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3977#page-112 Section A.1.)

On the other hand, I don't know whether leafnode handles folded MIDs
according to this RFC 3977.

Additionally folding has to be done with CRLF.

> Over to anyone who knows more than I.  :-)

Not having had a look at leafnodes sources, you probably don't speak of
me.

Have a nice day

Martin