[leafnode-list] Re: Malformed Message-ID?

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Wed Mar 1 03:41:46 CET 2023

On 01/03/2023 03:28, Matěj Cepl via leafnode-list wrote:
> V Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 05:02:50PM +0100, Matěj Cepl napsal(a):
>> And in the (attached) email message I see
>
> I was promising the message, right? Whoops …

Looking at RFC5536:
	 message-id      =  "Message-ID:" SP *WSP msg-id *WSP CRLF

I think that  means the Message-ID is not malformed, it has a CRLF quite
happily embedded in it.

Well, presuming it *is* a CRLF breaking the line, if it's just a NL,
then it probably is malformed.  Reading EBNF is tiring.

Which version of Leafnode are you using?  I cannot find your error
message in 1.12.0.

The line that checks in 1.12.0 is (reformatted a bit):
   ln_pcre_extract((unsigned char *)line,
     (unsigned char *)"Message-ID:\\s+<(?:[^>]+)@([^@>]+)>\\s*$",
     vec, 2))

And now we're in PCRE territory, I /think/ that won't match with a CRLF
in there, but I am very ready to be told I am wrong.

Over to anyone who knows more than I.  :-)

A work-around would be to ensure that your mail2news script joins up
split Message-ID lines.

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)