[leafnode-list] Re: using leafnode with existing spool

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Nov 26 11:06:24 CET 2022

Am 22.11.22 um 22:12 schrieb Julian Bradfield via leafnode-list:
> I read my various mailing list subscriptions by feeding them into what
> may be the world's last surviving cnews system.
>
> I should like to have nntp access to this. Unfortunately, I never
> saved a copy of nntpd, and I can't find the source anywhere.
> I want minimal effort, so switching to INN is more work than I want.
>
> Can I use leafnode to provide nntp access to a spool managed by
> another system? (If leafnode can do the indexing, that's good, but I
> don't want it thinking it can either inject or expire articles.)
>
> thanks,
> JCB

Julian,

leafnode does not make attempts to be really compatible with cnews. I
have personally used INN once upon a time, and I think I was using
newsstar to fetch, but have forgotten most of it.

leafnode-1 can only operate as proxy and will want to fetch existing
groups from upstream servers.

leafnode-2 can also feed groups that are local to your server, which
would kinda serve your purpose, but the spool format may not be
compatible with what cnews uses and you would have to find software to
also use NNTP to "post" your mailing lists into leafnode-2.