[leafnode-list] Re: newgroup/rmgroup requests?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Sun Dec 28 09:15:52 CET 2014

On 2014-12-20, 17:26 GMT, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Technically, leafnode is a store-and-forward proxy for existing groups
> (so it pretends to be and acts as though it were a newsreader to Usenet
> servers, and acts as a NNTP news server locally, with a news spool as a
> cache on your disk), and version 2 can also act as a local server for
> local groups - these are only shared between newsreaders that connect
> directly and will not be forwarded to other servers either way.  Not
> through UUCP, not through IHAVE... (feed style) not through POST (as
> news readers do).
>
>> I was unable to find anything about sending newgroup/rmgroup requests
>> with leafnode...
>
> It can't do that.  You need INN, Diablo, CNews, or DNews, or similar
> software for that.

I am aware of rmgroup/newgroup limitations, but couldn’t two
leafnode-2 servers communicate messages from one to another via
fetchnews? If I would install leafnode with pyg (email-to-news
bidirectional gateway https://gitlab.com/mcepl/pyg) inside of my
company’s network (behind VPN), could I then fetch a there-local
newsgroup to my local leafnode-2 via fetchnews? After all,
fetchnews pretends to be just a regular newsreader, doesn’t it?
So, leafnode server should not be able to even recognize that
those messages fetched by it will be propagated to other
newsserver?

Best,

Matěj