[leafnode-list] Re: Two questions about logging in Leafnode 2.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Jan 31 09:45:01 CET 2008

andrew <andrew.david.45 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was hoping to get some clarification regarding logging with
> leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20070602a, following some discussion of this area
> in news.software.readers. I have 2 questions:
>
> Question 1:
>
> I note in the README that comes with the source that only the
> following is mentioned as being added to /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> news.info               /var/log/news
>
> Can I ask if there is value in also adding the following for the sake
> of completion, or will needs be mostly met by 'news.info':
>
> news.=crit         -/var/log/news/news.crit
> news.=err          -/var/log/news/news.err
> news.notice        -/var/log/news/news.notice
> news.info          -/var/log/news/news.info
>
> (These are given in the Slackware /etc/syslog.conf as settings for
> INN.)

Check syslog.conf's manual page. news.crit/news.err will contain ONLY
THESE levels, whereas news.info will also comprise all higher-severity
levels, too, that is, notice, warn, err, crit. IOW, all your logs are in
news.info, the others contain filtered (shorter) versions thereof.

> Question 2:
>
> Can I ask as well if there was ever any thought of including a small
> section in the documentation on subsequent handling of the logfile/s
> in /etc/logrotate or is this starting to move beyond the scope of a
> /leafnode/ README? This came to mind when I noticed such things as
> sample crontab settings in this document.

Adding documentation is an option most of the time, however system
conventions for log rotation (be that logrotate, newsyslog, whatever)
vary wildly.

> I have cobbled together the following which I was also hoping for
> comment on:
>
>        /var/log/news/* {
>            weekly
>            rotate 4
>            olddir /var/log/news/old
>            missingok
>            postrotate
>                 kill -1 `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`
>            endscript
>            compress
>        }

I see nothing strikingly wrong there at first glance.

openSUSE 10.2 appear to use this instead, for reference:

/var/log/news/news.crit /var/log/news/news.err /var/log/news/news.notice {
    compress
    dateext
    maxage 365
    rotate 99