[leafnode-list] Re: status of leafnode 2 and how to upgrade from leafnode 1

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Aug 14 11:14:01 CEST 2006

Matej Cepl <ceplm at seznam.cz> writes:

> after fighting with INN for couple of days (and spamming couple of email
> lists meantime ;-)) I have humbly returned to leafnode (1.11.5 with ML
> patch of Nikita Youschenko -- why this patch has not been in the plain
> leafnode tarball for a long time already is beyond me, but that's another
> question).

Just formality. I didn't want to open that can of worms in a stable
series and haven't got plans for a 1.12 release.

I'd be open to review and possibly adopt a revised version for
leafnode-2 though.

> However, INN opened my eyes to some new possibilities and I would love to
> try something new. So the question, what is the state of leafnode 2? I have
> just true leaf node here -- running leafnode on localhost and reading it
> with knode. Are there any serious problems with leafnode 2 (why is it in
> alpha)? Does it support local NGs and mail2news gatewaying?

It supports local news groups, better filtering than ln 1.11 and fetches
group articles faster (thanks to pipelining ARTICLE or HEAD/BODY commands).

Official mail2news gatewaying isn't integrated and probably suffers from
the usual "Message-ID are unique per server" problem that impairs messages
sent to several lists at the same time.  I don't know the state of Jörg
Dietrich's prior works or views on this either.

It is alpha because I don't care too much for compatibility between
leafnode-2 versions until I'm happy with it (not much work has been done
to leafnode-2 in the past weeks since I've been busy with difficult
fetchmail bug fixes). Else, I know of few bugs that hinder daily
personal use and am usually quick to fix bugs given the report is
substantiated (for instance, with a stack backtrace).

Sorry for the terse reply - feel free to ask further questions if you're unsure.

--
Matthias Andree