[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode2 hostname problems

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Fri Jun 9 13:18:56 CEST 2006

* Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> :

> >> Still wrong, but the workaround works - for the leafnode daemon at least...
> >
> > Yeah, I know you said to put both in same line, but I wanted to test
> > the leafnode hostname directive worked first ;-)
>
> Fine. I have since reverted the patch for the "b" snapshot because of
> the subtle failures you observed. There's more code review and some
> thinking over concepts and requirements necessary that cannot happen in
> a hurry. Back to the status quo ante.

While you are thinking about code/concept review, perhaps you
consider the sanity(?) checks for hostnames.  You have documented
the importance of unique hostnames etc for message-id creation and
that should be enough to warn users.

If they choose to manually add a hostname to the config, then so be
it.  The leafnode server shouldn't bork just because it gets checked
several different ways.

[snip]
> > Jun  9 09:21:06 armadillo xinetd[3538]: xinetd Version 2.3.14
> > started with libwrap loadavg options compiled in.
>
> OK, good to know they use decent compile options for Ubuntu.
>
> > Jun  9 09:21:06 armadillo xinetd[3538]: Started working: 1 available
> > service
> >
> > When try to telnet armadillo... first, then tried localhost:
> >
> > Jun  9 10:02:41 armadillo leafnode[4010]: refused connect from
> > 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.10)
>
> It appears the IP addresses in /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow do not
> match. What are your computers and their IP addresses (as per "ifconfig"
> or "ip addr show" - doesn't matter which one you use)?

Hmm.  I hadn't noticed that IP.  Weird.  This machine does have 2
interfaces - one for the connection to router (192.168.1.10) and one
for LAN (192.168.0.1).  The armadillo hostname has never been
manually associated with 192.168.1.0 network.  I had it in hosts as
192.168.0.1!  Must be the /etc/hostname playing up?

$ cat /etc/hosts.allow

leafnode: 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1

Anyway, changed /etc/hosts to the armadillo entries on 127.0.0.1 and
it's working now.

Thankyou so much for your time and advice Matthias.  Your quick
others (not just me).

--
Troy Piggins
  ,-o   Ubuntu v6.06 (Dapper Drake): kernel 2.6.15-23-server,