[leafnode-list] Re: post to remote server doesn't work when running fetchnews from cron

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Nov 14 13:59:24 CET 2005

Thibaut Allender <mailing at capsule.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't understand why fetchnews won't post any queued message when run
> from cron...
>
> Here's what I get from cron :
>
> cron: /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -P -vvvv
> leafnode 1.9.33.rel: verbosity level is 4

leafnode 1.9.33 is way old, please retry 1.11.3 first (check the NEWS
file and look for the word "incompatible" case insensitively, certain
special configurations with escapes or comments may require manual
intervention - although most are fine without touching everything.)
1.11.3 is still pretty compatible with 1.9.33.

If that does not help, check the permissions of the out.going directory
underneath your spooldir (usually /var/spool/news).

What does newsq print on the console?

What does newsq print from cron?

I have currently no idea what might be wrong. You can try to use
"printenv" (1) from cron and (2) from your "su news" console and compare
the output, perhaps something is in the way, LD_* variables are
particularly interesting.

--
Matthias Andree