[leafnode-list] Excessive error handling on "store: no valid newsgroups"

Patric Mueller bhaak at gmx.net
Sun Nov 13 06:15:19 CET 2005

Hi.

Leafnode gets all confused when trying to parse this control message:
Subject: cmsg newgroup alt.suisse.bal.andree.colon

The relevant portion of the output of fetchnews looks like this. For
testing purposes I set the initialfetch value to 10.

news.individual.de: control.newgroup: skipping articles 1-257963
inclusive (initial limit)
control.newgroup: considering 10 articles 257964 - 257973, using XOVER
control.newgroup: XOVER: 10 seen, 0 I have, 0 filtered, 10 to get
control.newgroup: will fetch 10 articles
store: no valid newsgroups
Wrong reply to ARTICLE command: "Booster to reverse rogue rmgroup."
control.newgroup: 1 articles fetched (to 2), 0 killed
news.individual.de: cannot parse reply to "GROUP control.rmgroup": "***Verstärkermeldung***  ***Booster***  ***lettre de renforcateur***"
ERROR: FETCHNEWS MUST REFETCH THE WHOLE ACTIVE FILE NEXT RUN.
REASON: could not successfully talk to all servers.

I guess leafnode bails with "store: no valid newsgroups" because this
posting doesn't contain control.newgroup in its Newsgroups-line.

I don't know if leafnode should store a message in a newsgroup when
this newsgroup is missing from the header.

But it shouldn't just bail without consuming the articles body. A
check with ethereal showed that leafnode tries to parse the body of
the control message as response to the subsequent ARTICLE and GROUP
requests.

Bye
Patric