[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode and stunnel

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Oct 15 13:09:46 CEST 2005

Nick C wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Up until now, this combination has been working great. But yesterday, when
> I upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary to Ubuntu Breezy, I can not use leafnode over
> stunnel to connect to SSL nntp services.
>
> In my /etc/inetd.conf I have this entry:
>
> nntps   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/stunnel stunnel
> /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf
>
> and when fetchnews runs, a noticed this entry in logs:
>
> localhost: connecting to port 563
>   trying:    address 127.0.0.1 port 563...
>   connected: address 127.0.0.1 port 563.
> localhost: Server didn't want to talk to us, reply code -1
> localhost: "2005.10.15 09:52:28 LOG3[12479:3083081408]: Either -r, -l (or
> -L) option must be used"
>
> So, I looked up in stunnel help manual, and these parameters (-r,-l, -L)
> means:
>
> -r [host:]port   connect to remote service (host defaults to INADDR_LOOPBACK)
> -l program    execute local inetd-type program
> -L program    open local pty and execute program
>
> I have no idea why stunnel is requesting these parameters, because like I
> said, up until now everything was working great.
>
> I know that this question is not for leafnode mailing list, but I'm asking
> here because, i think that someone else is also using stunnel with leafnode.

Chances are you have upgraded from stunnel 3.x to stunnel 4.x and you
need to adjust your stunnel.conf to the new format. Just guessing,
because I don't use Ubuntu, I only know it's Debian based.

Can you show your stunnel.conf? (show only the relevant parts if there
is lot of commentary in that file)