[leafnode-list] Problems with reading from newsgroups (501 no such list available)

Gino Filicetti gino at filicetti.net
Mon Feb 7 05:40:42 CET 2005

>>I don't understand why the "501 no such list available" error is
>>occuring, I have never seen it before until now.
> It means that their news server doesn't have such a list. I've tried
> to connect to that server but it requires authentication. On my
> ISP's news server, I can telnet to it's nntp port (119) and run an
> interactive session. It supports a "help" command that lists all
> acceptable/supported commands. So does my local leafnode2.
>
> See if your server supports "list newsgroups"

I tried the same thing, but seems like help doesn't even work on my
isp's server unless I'm authenticated... and I can't figure out how to
authenticate myself since telnet lets me in with out challenging me
for credentials.... any idea?

> Did you add this immediately after the corresponding server
> declartion? Leafnode2 man page says:
> nodesc = 1
> (Note spaces)
>
> I don't remember the parseable format variations.

I have that, and its no help... here's a snippet of the top of my
config file:

## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
server = newsgroups.comcast.net
nodesc = 1

## Unread articles will be deleted after this many days if
## you ý€wÍt define special expire times. Mandatory.
expire = 10