[leafnode-list] Using Authentication to Limit Subscription to Local Groups

Eric Hittle eric.hittle at sycamore.us
Mon Jan 31 18:06:47 CET 2005

I think I already know the answer to this but is there a way to use the
"INTERNAL" authentication method to limit which local newsgroups a user
can subscribe to?  I've got leafnode-2 installed successfully and have
created several a local newsgroup and users in the /etc/leafnode/users
file.  As far as I can tell though, this authentication allows the users
to view all the newsgroups on the server.  I'd like to be able to create
several local newsgroups on the same server, to which I limit those who
can subscribe to each local newsgroup by giving them a user account
which will only allow them to subscribe to the newsgroup I specify as
allowed for that user account.

I don't want to have to go to a more complex NNTP server if I don't have
to, as leafnode fulfills much of what I need, but I do need something
that provides this functionality.  Ideas?