[leafnode-list] filtering spam articles using the "from" field

Mark lists at greplinux.dyndns.org
Sat May 1 18:03:27 CEST 2004

Ray Abbitt wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004, Mark wrote:
>

>>There is a lot of spam lately that has names in the "from" field such as
>>
>>jamiescot at su.shawcable.net
>>deanmartin at wk.shawcable.net
>>peterreid at vs.shawcable.net
>>
>>Is there any way to create a leafnode filter that will reject all posts
>>based on the .shawcable.net.
>

> It's actually fairly easy, but you may want to reconsider just a bit.
> I believe you will find that a lot of legitimate posts in your spool
> from users @xx.shawcable.net since shaw is one of the bigger cable
> connectivity providers in Canada.

If you use Shaw as your cable ISP (as I do) the headers will show

Shawcable.net is not a legit posting host for email nor usenet. The
"from" name is being munged to make it appear that the post is coming
from a shawcable.net subscriber....that does not exist.
For instance, if I did not munge my "from" address it would be mark at shaw.ca

Take a look here for the spam associated with shawcable.net
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=shawcable.net&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

> The following filter will work:

> pattern = ^From:.*shawcable.net
> action = kill