[leafnode-list] Closure of this list

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Dec 19 03:48:24 CET 2003

"Mike Vanecek" <leaf_list at mm-vanecek.cc> writes:

> A silly question I suspect, but ....  What is the advantage of maintaining a
> mailing list as opposed to the usenet architecture? The use of usenet would
> seem to remove the need for servers and so on. Since the list is not
> moderated, does it need the mailing list form of architecture and the effort
> required to maintain such a list?

The effort, with a decent mailing list software, is supposed to be zero
for maintenance and a little for setting the list up.

In fact, German-language leafnode support happens through Usenet,
news:de.comm.software.newsserver is the relevant group.

The problem with Usenet is, if you're having troubles bootstrapping
leafnode, then using Usenet is like trying to pull yourself out of icy
water (when the ice cracked) by pulling your own hair upwards: it won't
work.

> I guess the usenet approach does not provide a centralized archive except for
> the use of appropriate search engines.

The archive is not a big deal, more importantly, a list allows more
control over what is allowed and what isn't. If I say "no HTML", Mailman
will jump and strip HTML attachments. If I say "max. 16 kByte", Mailman
will reject larger mails. If I say "no spam please", I can install
SpamAssassin, ASK, qconfirm or something like that.

Nothing like that is possible for Usenet that feeds forth and back and
with every site applying their own policies with respect to who may post
what and what gets feeded.

--
Matthias Andree